Buying clothing in bulk and selling wholesale clothing is a great way to earn some extra money.
You could even turn this side hustle into a full-time work from home income.
Have you ever thought about making money on the side by selling on Ebay or Poshmark?
Many people who love fashion and clothing make extra cash by selling their unwanted items for profit on online resale websites.
One way to get started making money from home is to sell wholesale clothing.
- 50 Easiest Things to Flip for Profit and Make Money – and Where to Buy Them
- I Made $1200 Last Year Selling Plush Stuffed Animals
- 25 Best Passive Income Ideas to Start Today
- 4 Stay at Home Mom Jobs to Make Extra Money Every Month
How to Make Money Reselling Wholesale Clothing
Making money reselling wholesale clothing isn’t very difficult. I personally have been doing it for years online and I make thousands every month selling clothing and other items. Here are the ways you can sell:
- Online sites and apps: Ebay, Poshmark, Mercari, Vinted, or Grailed are great for reselling after buying clothing in bulk. These money making app sites are great because they serve a national audience – that’s a lot of people who might want to buy your wholesale clothes. You can ship your sales anywhere in the country or world.
- Local selling apps: You can use Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, LetGo, VarageSale, or Craigslist to sell your bulk clothing. Connect with your buyers of wholesale clothing online, then complete the sales transaction in person.
- Garage sales, flea markets, and rummage sales: You don’t even need to go online to sell bulk clothing! You can simply put out your wares and allow the customers to come to you.
Before you purchase clothing in bulk to sell, make sure you know how you’re going to sell. Of course, to really turbo charge your sales, you can use a combination of these strategies (like list your items online and sell at a flea market).
Getting Started Selling Wholesale Clothing
You should prepare to sell wholesale clothing in bulk by taking a few steps.
1 – Set up an account on Ebay, Poshmark, Mercari, Grailed, or wherever you want to sell. If you plan to sell wholesale clothing at a flea market or yard sale, have a date in mind. It’s a good idea to sell a few things of your own, to get good feedback on your account. Customers are more likely to buy your things if you have some good feedback.If you’ve never sold online before, Poshmark is a great place to get started. You don’t even need a computer, just a smartphone. Simply take photos with your phone and there are no fees unless you sell something. Once you make a sale, you have to print a shipping label, however. I love selling on Poshmark!Do you want a Free $5 to get started on Poshmark? Simply download the Poshmark app in your phone and enter berklanstyle as the personal invite code. You won’t get the $5 unless you use the code, though, so be sure you enter it when you download. It’s super easy.
2 – Get some flipping shipping supplies. At the minimum, you will need some packing tape (this is my favorite kind on Amazon). I also package my items in clear plastic bags called polybags. These are the ones I buy on Amazon. I find they’re a great buy since they have a variety of sizes in one package. Get yourself a tape gun and some bubble mailers or boxes, and you’re ready to ship.
4 – Plan how to store your items after buying clothing in bulk. Once all of your items are listed (or before you sell in person), make sure you know how to keep the clothing inventory organized. I use these clear containers to keep any dust, pet hair, or dirt from getting on my items.
5 – Decide whether to buy used on new items. You might prefer selling new clothes to selling used ones. However, new (or new with tags) wholesale clothing items may be more expensive. Just something to consider.
Where Can I Start Buying Clothing in Bulk?
If you’ve never bought wholesale clothing lots before, you might not know where to get bulk clothing lots to resell on Ebay or Poshmark. This list is not exhaustive but is from my own research from reselling on Ebay.
Try Ebay or Mercari for Smaller Wholesale Lots
Start on Ebay or Mercari by looking for “wholesale clothing lots.” You can also search for “wholesale mens clothing lot,” “wholesale womens clothing lot,” or “wholesale swimwear lot,” just as an example. Purchasing wholesale on Ebay is great because all of the shipping costs and fees are clearly laid out for you as the buyer.
Online Companies Where You Can Buy Wholesale Clothing By the Box or Pallet
- Via Trading – Via Trading is a California company that offers wholesale purchases on a lot of items, including clothes. If you go to their website, you can purchase wholesale clothing by the box – or by the truckload (and sizes in between).
- Liquidation General – This company also offers wholesale clothing for sale, grouped by 100 to 1,000 pieces. They offer free shipping for many of their lots.
- BlueLots – Blue Lots offers smaller lots perfect for someone who wants to get their feet wet reselling wholesale clothing.
- 888 Lots – 888 Lots offers wholesale clothing lots.
What to Know Before You Buy Wholesale Clothing Online
Before you buy a wholesale clothing lot, carefully examine the manifest, or the list of the items you’ll be buying. Sometimes you’ll get an exact list, sometimes you won’t. You have to make the determination if you’re OK with the risk of buying unmanifested goods.
Also before buying clothing in bulk be sure that there aren’t restrictions if you are having the goods delivered to your home address. Sometimes you may have to pay an extra fee if you are residential or if a lift gate is required (with pallets of goods).
You may also be able to score wholesale clothing lots locally. Search [your zip code] + “wholesale clothing”. Local companies may allow you to pick up bulk clothing lots, saving you shipping charges.
If you want to get started flipping stuff for profit and just don’t know where to start, check out Flea Market Flipper University by Rob and Melissa Stephenson. It is created just for people like us, who need to be given bite-sized tips & lessons on getting started flipping stuff, how to make sure the stuff you’re flipping is profitable, and where to find stuff to flip! (Because you probably just want to go straight to the side hustle and moneymaking without all the hoopla!)
This is the perfect course for you if:
- You want to earn an extra $500, $100, or even $5,000 a month.
- You have some debt you want to pay off or a vacation you want to take.
- You want to control your own hours or do something part-time.
- You want to start a business from home but don’t know how to get started.
- You want to make sure you turn a profit IMMEDIATELY.
As a pro flipper what I love about this course is that it’s a true shortcut to the info you need. I’m not going to lie, you will need to WORK because you’ll be running a business – but these guys teach all about the details that can trip newbies up when they’re starting a reselling business.
If you need someone to TEACH you how to sell stuff for cash, check out Rob & Melissa's course Flipper University by clicking here.
Have you ever bought a wholesale clothing lot to resell for extra money?